Skip to main content

First Week of School 2019!

This was an eventful first week of school!

(Warning - This is kind of picture heavy)

Monday was our district back to school event, and for the first time since I've been there, we were free to go to our rooms for the majority of the day. It was amazing, and I was very fortunate in that the event is always at my school site so I didn't have to leave to anywhere to get stuff done.

Free to work in our rooms!

Awesome tumbler with our district logo. It was filled with snacks and a healthy energy drink mix.
Talked with my team about how we can use these awesome clips from Target so I went and bought 10 packs

We were supposed to get bulletin board but they won't be in for a month. My coworker had the great idea to hang posters on a clothesline to be able to easily remove them when the boards come in.
I also changed my Becoming the Math Teacher You Wish You Had posters and taped them to my door. The other posters are on magnets because the edges of the window are metal.

I didn't do too much decorating other than that. The majority of my time at school was spent organizing my supplies and student supplies. I labeled everything after organizing it so that hopefully my life will be easier.
Student corner. Group supplies in the bins on the left, turn in bins, absent work, Bump It! Game Supplies, Chromebook chargers,  and my puzzle/brain break cart.

My board for agenda. I added one of the puzzles that Sarah Carter  to the board in front of the extra student supplies
Extra student supplies

My desk corner. I realized after taking this picture that I printed the wrong group roles poster.
Teacher supplies, mostly organized and labeled.
New this year: golf pencils for students to borrow when needed, and an inbox for anything students are giving to me that is not an assignment. Hopefully this will keep my desk more clutter free.
The first two student days went really well. I tried out an activity for students to find their seats that was mentioned by two other teachers in my hall. It was surprisingly difficult for students and many, many students kept asking me where they sit if their birthday is in "x month." I also did the second activity on Friday where they line up by name which went a bit easier but  a lot of students still struggled.
Most of my slides for the first day of school. Spent time talking about myself and showing students the pictures of the classroom so they know where to find everything.

For the second year I used Sara Van Der Werf's 100 numbers activity and it went very well. I had quite a few students who did this last year with me and they couldn't remember exactly how it worked so it was good to use again. 
 Overall it was a great week back to school!


Popular posts from this blog

Week of division of fractions

Monday through Wednesday we worked on dividing fractions, yesterday we did distributive property, and today we had a quiz. It took many of my students the whole period to answer 6 questions, and they didn't do as well as I'd like. I know that we need to spiral and review and they'll do corrections, but it's hard not to beat myself up about it.

I continued to love my warmups, and I finally got to do the clothesline! I just had them do numbers 1-10 just to discuss placement & spacing, but I think it went really well! My 4th period especially, because they worked as a whole class to get placement & spacing done without me directing them.

I also really, really love my Chromebook. I've actually started to use it to lesson plan. (Sorry to my millions of planners I bought this year. Also, yes husband, you told me so) I really wish I'd had it before the school year started because I don't think I would have felt the pull of the Happy Planner quite so strong…

First Day of School, August 10th!

I'm doing brand new things for the first day in my classroom this year. It's exciting, but nerve wracking as well!

For my Math 6 class, I'm going to be doing a visual pattern and going over Growth Mindset. I'm really excited because I've done this before, but never on the first day of school.

For Computer Science Discoveries, I decided to just go with what Code has listed in the curriculum, "Building an Aluminum Boat." This is where my nerves are all going toward, because I've never done anything like this in the classroom, especially on the first day, but I think it will be worth it.

I'm still trying to decide if I want to have my students in groups of two or three. My CSD class is up to 40 students, and even with as large as my classroom is, trying to organize that many desks with clear pathways is a challenge.

Only 4 more days until school starts!

Solving Equations HyperDoc

I finally decided to use HyperDocs in my classroom. I decided for my first time, I would adapt from one that someone else had made. Since we've already been working on equations, I used this one on Solving Two-Step Equations and changed a few things for my classes. However, I didn't change nearly enough. There were image issues with Padlet, so I eventually had the students add their copy on to the assignment in Google Classroom. For some reason, when you make a copy of a document, though, Google defaults to any gmail account you have logged in instead of your school account, so students had to share with themselves in order to attach through Google Classroom. 

I LOVED the idea of them creating their own equations as well, but many students had a hard time dragging the items around and spent a great deal of their time working on that.
In two (minimum day schedule) class periods, most students were able to finish, but I wasn't able to assign problems to solve yet due to all of…