Skip to main content

The Battle for Organization

Hello, my name is Kim, and I'm a clutterholic.

Seriously, I try to fight against the clutter, and it wins every time.

I got this tip from Sarah Carter to have spots for "Today, Tomorrow, & Soon" for my copies that I have printed. In Computer Science Discoveries, I haven't been having them use computer at all for "unplugged" lessons so I have something printed for each day. For Math 6, I'm on a more day to day basis, seeing what the kids need. I never did use those exit tickets on the top tray.

On a similar note, I've also been trying out my own take on Sarah's Unit Dividers (the yellow sheet) but I'm not sure if I'm a fan of them yet. We just put them in yesterday, as well as one for their iReady diagnostic results, but my 6th graders struggle so much with following my directions to put them in that I might just switch over to a unit page and be done with the whole mess. We'll see, I might just keep using them the rest of the year and decide at the end if they were worth it.

Oooh so nice and organized. What you don't see, though, is that the bookshelves underneath are a jumble of papers and materials.
 I also used my coworker's idea to put student supplies behind the whiteboard, so they can just grab them instead of asking me for them. They still do, but at least now I can wave my hand at the supplies instead of fetching them.

Student supplies
I meant to take pictures of my desk & the containers for turn in work, but I forgot. I'll try to take some pictures and edit this on Monday.  I have two of these banker's boxes that I but binder clips with period #s on, one for work that's on time and one for late work.


I do love to be organized, but get too drained to think of the most effective ways to conquer my clutter. Or I get overwhelmed by all of the possibilities and end up just doing the same old, same old piles of paper and stuff.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

PD Bonanza

Shown here: something I actually got from TPT and the pattern block blackline The past 3 weeks have been busy, busy. I had TEEM (Teaching Early Mathematics to English Learners) for 8 days. We focused on fractions, and I got some really good info about teaching fractions to my students. Pattern blocks, fraction strips, and number lines forever! I made my kids at home do some of the activities too.  Then I went to the AVID Summer Institute. It was a good reminder why I need to do notes  in my class, in addition to the fun, hands on stuff.  I'm still trying to figure out exactly how I'm going to include the summary & questions in the composition book I get for TEEM, but I've seen a few examples online I'll try to replicate & modify as needed. I've heard a lot of good quotes, but my favorite has been one I heard at AVID: "You can't do everything, so do 1 or 2 things well."  It often feels like I am expected, either by others or myself, ...

3 good things from 2020...

  3 good things from 2020... I got to be here for my kids' first day of school. It wasn't a milestone year for any of them, but I've missed the first day for the last few years because my district calendar starts before theirs. My 3rd grader's day starts before mine does so I was able to get him setup & going, and check in on my 8th & 10th graders right after they got started. It really meant so much to me to be able to see them start their school year & talk to them instantly about how their days went. We got a puppy! We got her back in February and she has been absolutely amazing during the pandemic. I am NOT a dog person, I was attacked by a Rottweiler at a very young age and have a lot of anxiety around dogs. But my husband did a lot of research and got us a corgi. She's small dog who doesn't jump on us or drool too much. She's super cute and snuggles with me all the time. I finally got the Planning to Change the World planbook, and have bee...

Planning for Back to School August 2020

Me in my laundry room/office This year has been so different from any other years. SO much uncertainty.  I wanted to be super prepared so I read many, many books and articles and Twitter lists over the summer. I participated in webinars and Zoom meetings and tried to put what I found in one place but my brain doesn't really work that way, so I have some stuff in Google Keep, some stuff in Wakelet, some stuff written down. In the end I still felt unprepared for the first day of school. I have had so much anxiety in the last few days. I did set up assignments for my students before the first day of school. I used Howie Hua's  Math Autobiography  slides, and some of my students started working on them immediately. It's already creating amazing discussions and bonding between my students. The first day of school went well for me. I didn't plan much, I just shared a couple of slides about myself and then had my students do a community circle . It worked out well because it l...