Skip to main content

First Week of School, 2018!

Man, what a week!

I've never started school on a Monday before as a teacher. Our school district starts on a Thursday, and so I have always started on a Thursday. I always thought it was a little weird, but now I get it. I totally get it. This has been the longest week ever and I have blisters on my poor little toes.

It's been really good, though! I'm working on building connections with all of my students (just shy of 200) by using the name tents from Sara Van Der Werf. It's going so well, students are asking me all kinds of questions and I get to know them better as well! The only problem is, it takes a long time to write all of the responses. Like, way more time than I thought. I also wish I had used cardstock because regular paper is just a little bit too flimsy But, I think they're going to be worth it.












I also used Sara's 100 numbers task the first day of school, which was amazing. The top response I got on Monday was "When are we going to do this again?" which is pretty awesome.



Tuesday we did the Back to School Footloose, but I actually just had the students stay in their desks and work together. I can tell these guys are already very nervous about getting answers wrong, so we're going to be working on growth mindset a lot this year for sure. In 47 minutes most students only finished about 5 or 6 problems. It was good, though, I learned a lot about my students just from those few questions and answers.


Wednesday we set up notebooks! I was very optimistic about the glue sponges, and it went really well, in every period except 5th, where students thought they needed to pick up the sponges, and 7th, who weren't even using the glue in class but a few kids decided to play around with it.  All of my other classes were very responsible with the glue and did a super great job!



The table folders have been going great, too. I had students write their own names on sticky notes so it would be easier for me to see who's where at a glance, and I'm glad I did because I was able to make a seating chart from it and quickly take attendance this week. This has been such a time saver, especially in 2nd period where I'm supposed to do a head count and keep track of absences to a greater degree than other classes until enrollment settles down. I definitely recommend using full stick sticky notes because the regular ones keep flopping off, but I wouldn't give them to the kids since they are a bit more costly, so I'll have to figure that out exactly. Right now I'm just going to add them on as I change seating charts. The table folders have also been great for changing seats, I had to put my 7th period in assigned seats and it made it super easy for them to find where they are supposed to be. The only downside to the table folders is that is does require more prep, and if I'm given a stack of papers to hand out last minute I can't really use them, but it's not that big of a deal.

I do feel a bit overwhelmed already, I think because of all of the new stuff I'm trying, plus the longer than normal first week of school. It also doesn't help that the student Chromebooks were delayed, and I was planning on going paperless in my Computer Science class but can't because 10 of my kids didn't have Chromebooks the first 3 days, and 2 still don't because they ran out of Chromebooks. I'm super jealous of all of my colleagues at the elementary who have their Chromebooks already, because they have a class set instead of checking them out to the students.

But, overall it's been a great week, and I'm really looking forward to everything this year will bring!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

How I Plan & Reflect

I've tried a lot of different methods for planning & reflecting on my plans over the years, and I'm still trying to figure it out. Last year I used the Happy Planner for Teachers , and I loved it because there are a lot of stickers and I could add my own pages, basically customize it however I wanted. But, it was very large and I ended up not using it a few months into the school year. So Pretty So Unused I'm still very tempted by the new packages they have for teacher planners but am holding firm in not buying it because it will cause guilt and shame when it falls out of use. I did get a Passion Planner to keep track of time sensitive things, and am going to give myself a bit more grace about not filling it out. It'll be more personal/to do listy than lesson planning. So shiny! Mostly blank the week before school starts. There's things I need to add but shh let's ignore that right now I'm ALSO going to be using  Common Curricul

Planning for Back to School August 2020

Me in my laundry room/office This year has been so different from any other years. SO much uncertainty.  I wanted to be super prepared so I read many, many books and articles and Twitter lists over the summer. I participated in webinars and Zoom meetings and tried to put what I found in one place but my brain doesn't really work that way, so I have some stuff in Google Keep, some stuff in Wakelet, some stuff written down. In the end I still felt unprepared for the first day of school. I have had so much anxiety in the last few days. I did set up assignments for my students before the first day of school. I used Howie Hua's  Math Autobiography  slides, and some of my students started working on them immediately. It's already creating amazing discussions and bonding between my students. The first day of school went well for me. I didn't plan much, I just shared a couple of slides about myself and then had my students do a community circle . It worked out well because it l

Math Professional Workshops

 I am very fortunate that my school district invests in training teachers. For the past two school years, we have had optional  professional workshops in the winter and summer. There are multiple days with choices available for different grade levels. Last year, they were all separated by grade band. This year, there's more overlap between the grade levels on different days. So yesterday was 3-6, today was 4-6, and tomorrow is 6-8. I didn't realize that I could have also gone yesterday, but it worked out anyway because yesterday was my own kids' first day of the second semester.  I am so glad they made the switch, because previously there was minimal involvement from people at my middle school, and we are the only middle school in the district. So today I got to work with not just teachers from my school, but from all of the elementary schools. It always helps to have additional perspectives from both sides. It also helps that everyone who was there signed up to be there. E