Skip to main content

First Day of School, August 10th!

I'm doing brand new things for the first day in my classroom this year. It's exciting, but nerve wracking as well!

For my Math 6 class, I'm going to be doing a visual pattern and going over Growth Mindset. I'm really excited because I've done this before, but never on the first day of school.

For Computer Science Discoveries, I decided to just go with what Code has listed in the curriculum, "Building an Aluminum Boat." This is where my nerves are all going toward, because I've never done anything like this in the classroom, especially on the first day, but I think it will be worth it.



I'm still trying to decide if I want to have my students in groups of two or three. My CSD class is up to 40 students, and even with as large as my classroom is, trying to organize that many desks with clear pathways is a challenge.

Only 4 more days until school starts!


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Week of division of fractions

Monday through Wednesday we worked on dividing fractions, yesterday we did distributive property, and today we had a quiz. It took many of my students the whole period to answer 6 questions, and they didn't do as well as I'd like. I know that we need to spiral and review and they'll do corrections, but it's hard not to beat myself up about it.



I continued to love my warmups, and I finally got to do the clothesline! I just had them do numbers 1-10 just to discuss placement & spacing, but I think it went really well! My 4th period especially, because they worked as a whole class to get placement & spacing done without me directing them.





I also really, really love my Chromebook. I've actually started to use it to lesson plan. (Sorry to my millions of planners I bought this year. Also, yes husband, you told me so) I really wish I'd had it before the school year started because I don't think I would have felt the pull of the Happy Planner quite so strong…

Solving Equations HyperDoc

I finally decided to use HyperDocs in my classroom. I decided for my first time, I would adapt from one that someone else had made. Since we've already been working on equations, I used this one on Solving Two-Step Equations and changed a few things for my classes. However, I didn't change nearly enough. There were image issues with Padlet, so I eventually had the students add their copy on to the assignment in Google Classroom. For some reason, when you make a copy of a document, though, Google defaults to any gmail account you have logged in instead of your school account, so students had to share with themselves in order to attach through Google Classroom. 

I LOVED the idea of them creating their own equations as well, but many students had a hard time dragging the items around and spent a great deal of their time working on that.
In two (minimum day schedule) class periods, most students were able to finish, but I wasn't able to assign problems to solve yet due to all of…