Skip to main content

INB setup & Classroom Management

Ohh INBs. I love/hate you.

All of the papers to set up this year's notebook
6 pages? No problem! I bet we'll have time to get started on the Unit 1 handout, too!

WRONG.

I decided this year I'd make sure each student's notebook has their name on it with Sharpie before leaving the room (I monitored Sharpie usage.) But many students asked for me  to write their names, creating a long line & time suck I didn't prepare for. Especially in my classes over 30, which happen to be after lunch and more rambunctious anyway.

They only got 3 pages done. Inside cover, Table of Contents, and the Syllabus page. At least we made it through the syllabus?

It did remind me, though, why the TEEM notebooking people use a printed Table of Contents. One student used about 3 or 4 lines per item to write in his table of contents. Margins going almost to the middle of the page. Not going to lie, I was horrified but unsure of how to proceed with him. So I think I may end up using the pre-made printout for the ToC next year to avoid that kind of thing, even if it is a bit of a waste of paper.

It also reminds me that I'm horrible getting started with classroom management. Those signs there? I haven't even mentioned them to my class. I need to get going on that. I know how important classroom management is. But I also feel the pressure of oh my goodness we're already 4 days in, I'm behind already and we're supposed to be DONE with decimals, GCF, LCM, and distributive property in 2.5 more weeks! I know that setting up classroom management in the beginning will make life go smoother later. But in the moment, I have a hard time with it. Tomorrow I'm going to back up, restart, and make sure those transitions go well, even if it takes even longer, because I need it to run smoother later in the year.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

PD Bonanza

Shown here: something I actually got from TPT and the pattern block blackline The past 3 weeks have been busy, busy. I had TEEM (Teaching Early Mathematics to English Learners) for 8 days. We focused on fractions, and I got some really good info about teaching fractions to my students. Pattern blocks, fraction strips, and number lines forever! I made my kids at home do some of the activities too.  Then I went to the AVID Summer Institute. It was a good reminder why I need to do notes  in my class, in addition to the fun, hands on stuff.  I'm still trying to figure out exactly how I'm going to include the summary & questions in the composition book I get for TEEM, but I've seen a few examples online I'll try to replicate & modify as needed. I've heard a lot of good quotes, but my favorite has been one I heard at AVID: "You can't do everything, so do 1 or 2 things well."  It often feels like I am expected, either by others or myself, ...

3 good things from 2020...

  3 good things from 2020... I got to be here for my kids' first day of school. It wasn't a milestone year for any of them, but I've missed the first day for the last few years because my district calendar starts before theirs. My 3rd grader's day starts before mine does so I was able to get him setup & going, and check in on my 8th & 10th graders right after they got started. It really meant so much to me to be able to see them start their school year & talk to them instantly about how their days went. We got a puppy! We got her back in February and she has been absolutely amazing during the pandemic. I am NOT a dog person, I was attacked by a Rottweiler at a very young age and have a lot of anxiety around dogs. But my husband did a lot of research and got us a corgi. She's small dog who doesn't jump on us or drool too much. She's super cute and snuggles with me all the time. I finally got the Planning to Change the World planbook, and have bee...

Planning for Back to School August 2020

Me in my laundry room/office This year has been so different from any other years. SO much uncertainty.  I wanted to be super prepared so I read many, many books and articles and Twitter lists over the summer. I participated in webinars and Zoom meetings and tried to put what I found in one place but my brain doesn't really work that way, so I have some stuff in Google Keep, some stuff in Wakelet, some stuff written down. In the end I still felt unprepared for the first day of school. I have had so much anxiety in the last few days. I did set up assignments for my students before the first day of school. I used Howie Hua's  Math Autobiography  slides, and some of my students started working on them immediately. It's already creating amazing discussions and bonding between my students. The first day of school went well for me. I didn't plan much, I just shared a couple of slides about myself and then had my students do a community circle . It worked out well because it l...