Skip to main content

First Week of TEEM 2018







First day of TEEM! Off to a great start learning about how students need agency to be fully invested in mathematics, and many students lose agency when they have a negative mathematics identity. I know I see this a lot in my classes, so my goal this year is going to be to make sure that they have agency.

















One way we learned we can give them agency is with storytelling, thanks to teachers from the UCLA Lab School. Give the students a picture and have them discuss what they notice and what they can count in the picture. Pictures can come from anywhere, as long as they can provoke discussion and mathematics.

The best part, I think, is that the students create the story, and create the math question. The math is left blank so students can choose "just right" numbers, allowing them to differentiate on their own. The presenters said if you know your students are choosing numbers that are too low for them you can ask them if those are really their "just right" numbers.

 I'm going to try doing this on those random Internet Holidays like Donut Day or Emoji Day, so that it'll be fun and interesting for my middle schoolers. I think I'll also do it on other holidays from students' cultures, to help bring that in to the math classroom.




Another strategy we learned to give students agency is teaching through problem-solving. Now, I tried to do a lot of this year while using the Illustrative Mathematics curriculum. But I struggled. Every time my principal observed me, he said I was doing too much talking, even though I felt like I gave the students a lot of think and talk time. After this presentation, it clicked with me that I was talking too much, and have better strategies for getting the students to talk & share, such as selecting certain strategies to share with the class, having the students compare and contrast the strategies, and to have the students create a summary of the learning as a class. Even though these are strategies I learned before, I had forgotten about them in the chaos of the school year.

One new strategy I'll be trying to bring to my class is the Boardwork, which is to keep all of the work discussed on the board instead of erasing, so that if a student tuned out or was out of the class or just needs to check again, they can look back at all of the work already done. I'm trying to figure out exactly how this will work in my class, since I don't really have the setup for that. I have one whiteboard that I use for work and then another that I use for agenda/announcements. I might be able to do it with some easels, but again it's something I need to give more thought.


I also really appreciated the focus on Math Equity this past week. It's something I've already been looking into on my own, and I'm so glad that I have more ideas to put into place in my classroom. It's so important for students to think critically about the world, and there's no reason that can't be done in my classroom.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

PD Bonanza

Shown here: something I actually got from TPT and the pattern block blackline The past 3 weeks have been busy, busy. I had TEEM (Teaching Early Mathematics to English Learners) for 8 days. We focused on fractions, and I got some really good info about teaching fractions to my students. Pattern blocks, fraction strips, and number lines forever! I made my kids at home do some of the activities too.  Then I went to the AVID Summer Institute. It was a good reminder why I need to do notes  in my class, in addition to the fun, hands on stuff.  I'm still trying to figure out exactly how I'm going to include the summary & questions in the composition book I get for TEEM, but I've seen a few examples online I'll try to replicate & modify as needed. I've heard a lot of good quotes, but my favorite has been one I heard at AVID: "You can't do everything, so do 1 or 2 things well."  It often feels like I am expected, either by others or myself, ...

3 good things from 2020...

  3 good things from 2020... I got to be here for my kids' first day of school. It wasn't a milestone year for any of them, but I've missed the first day for the last few years because my district calendar starts before theirs. My 3rd grader's day starts before mine does so I was able to get him setup & going, and check in on my 8th & 10th graders right after they got started. It really meant so much to me to be able to see them start their school year & talk to them instantly about how their days went. We got a puppy! We got her back in February and she has been absolutely amazing during the pandemic. I am NOT a dog person, I was attacked by a Rottweiler at a very young age and have a lot of anxiety around dogs. But my husband did a lot of research and got us a corgi. She's small dog who doesn't jump on us or drool too much. She's super cute and snuggles with me all the time. I finally got the Planning to Change the World planbook, and have bee...

Planning for Back to School August 2020

Me in my laundry room/office This year has been so different from any other years. SO much uncertainty.  I wanted to be super prepared so I read many, many books and articles and Twitter lists over the summer. I participated in webinars and Zoom meetings and tried to put what I found in one place but my brain doesn't really work that way, so I have some stuff in Google Keep, some stuff in Wakelet, some stuff written down. In the end I still felt unprepared for the first day of school. I have had so much anxiety in the last few days. I did set up assignments for my students before the first day of school. I used Howie Hua's  Math Autobiography  slides, and some of my students started working on them immediately. It's already creating amazing discussions and bonding between my students. The first day of school went well for me. I didn't plan much, I just shared a couple of slides about myself and then had my students do a community circle . It worked out well because it l...