Skip to main content

Mathematical Interactive Notebooks



This is my last summer with TEEM so I figure it's a good time to go over what I've learned with INBs (Interactive Notebooks) in the middle school math classroom.

Top thing: It's a struggle to get the feedback done. Research shows that feedback, not grades are best for student learning, but it's hard to fit feedback on notebooks in every day in the middle school. I know the elementary teachers have said it's a challenge as well. Even just stamping each notebook takes up a lot of time, sometimes I accidentally stamp when I don't mean to, etc. I do not like to collect them. I tried collecting them this past year and felt exhausted just looking at the stack of notebooks. I also don't like taking them during quizzes/tests because the point is to give them feedback before they're tested. Basically, I still haven't found the perfect solution for giving feedback in notebooks. One thing I am going to try this year is having them complete anything we're gluing into the notebooks and turn it in to me so I can check the paper before they glue it down. This does not solve giving feedback on anything they've written in the notebook itself, though.

Speaking of glue, I mentioned in a previous post what I'm trying this year for the glue dilemma. I'll post later about how all of that goes this year.

Every year I've done a table of contents, but I don't really keep up with it after about a month. The last two years I did have a poster on the wall that I updated, and I actually kept up with that, but my students didn't update theirs, or used half the page for one line despite my saying to keep the words in one box in the grid paper. This last year I tried out unit tabs and I really did enjoy that. One of my partner teachers mentioned that she's stopped using the ToC since she started using the unit tabs, and I think I will as well.



For the unit tabs, I liked having them as a third of the page for saving paper, but I feel like they  are too small. And gluing the tab around the entire edge proved problematic because the glue would come loose and other pages would get stuck in there. So, this year I've printed each tab on a whole page, and will have the students glue the page to itself before gluing into the notebook, or the tabs themselves would fall off entirely. I went back and forth on adding vocabulary to the tabs, but couldn't find a format I liked so I left it mostly blank.



Numbering is another challenge for some reason. In TEEM, they number every right page, and call the left side OP and the right side IP. I quickly nixed IP because middle schoolers, but stuck with numbering only the right pages, because the left side is for their work/reflection and the right is for the work we do together. But, a lot of students really struggle with this. I'm not sure how to get them not to because they still do even with modeling it and me posting it on the board, etc.

I do make my students take them home, because managing 5 class sets of INBs is a bit much for me. Although I guess if I had them in class it would make it easier to give feedback more frequently. But then the students couldn't refer to the notes at home, if they were so inclined.

Lots of tough choices when it comes to INBs, that's for sure!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

How I Plan & Reflect

I've tried a lot of different methods for planning & reflecting on my plans over the years, and I'm still trying to figure it out. Last year I used the Happy Planner for Teachers , and I loved it because there are a lot of stickers and I could add my own pages, basically customize it however I wanted. But, it was very large and I ended up not using it a few months into the school year. So Pretty So Unused I'm still very tempted by the new packages they have for teacher planners but am holding firm in not buying it because it will cause guilt and shame when it falls out of use. I did get a Passion Planner to keep track of time sensitive things, and am going to give myself a bit more grace about not filling it out. It'll be more personal/to do listy than lesson planning. So shiny! Mostly blank the week before school starts. There's things I need to add but shh let's ignore that right now I'm ALSO going to be using  Common Curricul

Planning for Back to School August 2020

Me in my laundry room/office This year has been so different from any other years. SO much uncertainty.  I wanted to be super prepared so I read many, many books and articles and Twitter lists over the summer. I participated in webinars and Zoom meetings and tried to put what I found in one place but my brain doesn't really work that way, so I have some stuff in Google Keep, some stuff in Wakelet, some stuff written down. In the end I still felt unprepared for the first day of school. I have had so much anxiety in the last few days. I did set up assignments for my students before the first day of school. I used Howie Hua's  Math Autobiography  slides, and some of my students started working on them immediately. It's already creating amazing discussions and bonding between my students. The first day of school went well for me. I didn't plan much, I just shared a couple of slides about myself and then had my students do a community circle . It worked out well because it l

PD Bonanza

Shown here: something I actually got from TPT and the pattern block blackline The past 3 weeks have been busy, busy. I had TEEM (Teaching Early Mathematics to English Learners) for 8 days. We focused on fractions, and I got some really good info about teaching fractions to my students. Pattern blocks, fraction strips, and number lines forever! I made my kids at home do some of the activities too.  Then I went to the AVID Summer Institute. It was a good reminder why I need to do notes  in my class, in addition to the fun, hands on stuff.  I'm still trying to figure out exactly how I'm going to include the summary & questions in the composition book I get for TEEM, but I've seen a few examples online I'll try to replicate & modify as needed. I've heard a lot of good quotes, but my favorite has been one I heard at AVID: "You can't do everything, so do 1 or 2 things well."  It often feels like I am expected, either by others or myself,